Everything Beautiful Is Not Ruined

When Ingrid was younger she traveled all over Europe with her opera star mother, Margot-Sophia. They were so happy. But then Margot-Sophia could no longer sing and they no longer acknowledged the past. They settled into a small, normal life but Ingrid desperately wanted their old life back. Now Ingrid is on a summer wilderness survival trek for at-risk teens. She has no idea why her mother sent her here. It's grueling and every day she feels as though she's going to break. But she has to figure out why she's here and why the music really stopped.

I don't think there's anything I disliked. Ingrid had a magical childhood. Then things went downhill and fast. I liked her very much. She was a strong person. She was self-aware. She didn't give up. She was sarcastic. I liked the setting. The wilderness survival thing was fun to read. Ingrid went through a lot - physically, emotionally, mentally. She would write letters to her mother telling her about all the fun she was not having. It goes back and forth between Ingrid's childhood and present day during her three weeks of hell. I enjoyed both story lines. I felt all the secondary characters were important, had their own personalities and made the book feel real. There was one part in the book where everything just came together for me and made me feel for Ingrid and there was absolutely no coming down from five stars after that. This was such a great read.

I won a copy through LibraryThing. Thank you to Penguin Teen for my physical copy. 


5/5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me No Lies

Kiss Me in New York