Our Kind of Cruelty

Mike Hayes grew up being neglected by his mother. While at university he met the beautiful Verity. She taught him about love. Mike became a successful, wealthy, handsome young man. He has dedicated his life to making her happy and making sure everything is perfect so they can live in bliss. He loves Verity so much that it doesn't matter that they don't live together or see each other anymore. It doesn't matter that she doesn't return his calls or emails. It doesn't even matter that she's marrying another guy. Because this is all just part of a secret game they used to play. If he watches her close enough he'll see that she's giving him signs. He'll know when to rescue her.

I was so excited to start reading this. There were lots of things I did like about this book - Mike made me feel uncomfortable. I wanted to talk some sense into him, which wouldn't have worked anyway. The concept was great. Mike and Verity's relationship was intense. Over the years they had grown to know one another well. But what about now? Is Verity really giving him signs? Is she in on this? This book had so much potential but it ultimately left me disappointed. It was boring. It wasn't as dark as I thought it was going to be. It became tedious and repetitious. And, for me, it's also forgettable.

3/5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me No Lies

Kiss Me in New York