Come Sundown

The Bodine ranch and resort in western Montana is a family owned business that is home to four generations. Sitting on over thirty thousand acres it's kept busy by lots of vacationers and kept running by a large staff which includes big boss Bodine Longbow. Although the family is very close, Bodine's aunt Alice ran away before she was even born and never came back. She hasn't been heard from in over twenty-five years and she's not often talked about. No one ever imagined that she'd been close by for so long, kept prisoner in a basement, having unimaginable things happen to her. When one of the bartenders from the resort is found dead, it's the first sign that danger is close by.

This is a big book! It took me a long time to get into it. It's mostly all about the ranch and resort - what goes on during work days with the horses and who is going to work where on whatever day. There's lots of cooking. I was confused the whole time (and still am) about who was Bodine's nana and who was her grammy. It seemed everyone was getting married after a first date. The big reveal was anticlimactic for me. "Sir" drove me nuts with his misogynist bullshit and I absolutely hated him!! But despite all these things I found myself wrapped up in all their drama. The characters were strong and the setting was beautiful. And I loved the horses. 

I won a copy of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway. Thank you to St. Martin's Press for an ARC.

4/5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kiss Me in New York

The Summer Wives